Saturday, February 18, 2006

Week of February 5: Super Bowl XL

A few weeks ago, I posted a blog (Week of January 1) about my tragic Fantasy Football season. The Fantasy Football gods cursed my team and I ended up coming in last. The consequence of my unjust demise resulted in me hosting the Super Bowl party. Despite the shame of my last place finish and despite being forced to host the Super Bowl party, I turned my frown up-side-down and was determined to host one heck of a party.

For the feast, I cooked my famous fried chicken, mac & cheese (Leslie's favorite), corn and biscuits. In addition, Andrea cooked candied crispy bacon (soo bad yet soo good), Velveeta Jimmy Dean sausage dip (Brian has a love/hate relationship with this dish) and some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. As if there wasn't quite enough food, everyone who came over brought their culinary contributions. What started as a Fantasy Football loser penalty ended up as a delicious heart-stopping calorie-filled banquet. As for the game... I think the Pittsburg Pirates won. Right?


Todd and Leslie brought this cake. By the time it took to get my camera, someone had made off with the other field goal post and taken a slice from the other side. Johnny!!!


Kodi was a lot of help preparing for the party. Kodi was in charge of seating arrangements. Unfortunately, we forgot to tell him that the chairs were for people and not for his favorite bags of goodies.


Eagerly waiting for the food! Nicole (aka Shaguars) seen in black coming up the stairs (pic on left) was the winner of our Fantasy Football league... she handedly kicked all of our butts including her husband Scott's (pic on left, both hands in pockets). Even the ground hogs Steve and Kamini (pic on right), made it out of their den to attend the Super Bowl party. They managed not to be scared away by their shadows for once.


After the Hines Ward touch down, Ed celebrated by tossing his first born, Shaun in the air. Fortunately, Leslie was near by to stop Ed from spiking Shaun.


Dinner is served!

I was really surprised to see Mariella eat so much. I would dare to say that she ate enough for two ;) Last week, I heard the news that Kevin (the sharp shooter) and Mariella are expecting their first baby! CONGRATULATIONS!!!




4 comments:

Swampdog said...

Candied crispy bacon??? Ohhhhhhh. Bacon is my favorite non-dessert food. Candied!? Crispy!? Bacon!?!?!??!

PLEASE send recipe!!

Anonymous said...

It's real name is Pig Candy.

Take bacon, roll it around in dark brown sugar for a nice coating. Put on a rack set on a cookie sheet to catch dripings and throw it in the oven for 15 or so minutes until cooked. Then - if you like it crispy - turn on the broiler. Keep an eye on it during this state since it can quickly get a little too charred.

Swampdog said...

Thanks, I'll try it and let you know how it works out.

Swampdog said...

finally tried it. Sitting here in a sort of afterglow. Oh my that was good. I mixed a tiny bit of chili powder and mustard powder in with the brown sugar, went about 20 mins at 375 (thick bacon) and then about 2 on the broiler. Ohhhhh.

Joey's Slide Show