Thursday, January 05, 2006

Week of January 1: Happy New Year

The Warriors
For Christmas, much to Andrea’s joy, her parents, Karen and Rick, gave me a game called The Warriors for my Xbox. This game is based on the 1979 cult classic movie by the same name. Perhaps it was Karen and Rick’s way of getting me mentally prepared for this game but they originally presented me with The Warriors for Play Station 2. And if you’ve ever tried to jam a square peg into a round hole, you know that you can’t play a PS2 game on the Xbox. I had to endure the torture of staring at the unplayable game for a week. So by the time I got The Warriors for my Xbox, my anticipation and my expectation for this game had surpassed any reasonable standard. Would The Warriors live up to my hype?


"Can you dig it?"

The Warriors playing spin the bottle with the Furies


The answer was (and still is) YES and then some. I know most of you are not regular gamers and for the most part, I don’t consider myself neither. So I won’t really go into the painful details. I will say this much though… there is a lot of violence and foul language (the f-word is pretty commonly used) and I wouldn’t recommend it for everyone. But if you can live past those minor moral standards, the game is pretty fun and very clever. One advice… make sure you have the hardware to enjoy the game, as I have come to find out. My trusted companion of probably 10 years, the 27 inch Sharp TV, is having a hard time “hanging” with The Warriors. The screen is going out and I am no longer able to make out the dark underworld of The Warriors’ turf. I guess it’s a glorious way for a TV to go. Or perhaps it’s Andrea’s way of controlling the amount of my game play. I hear the price of HDTV is pretty reasonable these days… hint, hint!

Fantasy Football
Andrea and I, along with 8 of our friends, belong to a Fantasy Football league. It’s a lot of fun, trash talking and even a little of NFL education. Since joining the league last year, Andrea has fully embraced Fantasy Football and even complained a few days ago that her Thursdays (the day that most people started adjusting the starting lineup unless you were Vin) now seemed a little empty.


This year yielded a disastrous outcome for me. I could go into a non-stop rant about why my team imploded but the end result was that I came in last place. The penalty for coming in last? I now have to host the Super Bowl party. As for Andrea, she failed to make the cut for the playoff round but she won the consolation round which put her in 5th place… well ahead of me. Andrea has been pretty good at not rubbing it in and has graciously offered to supervise my team for next year. I am sooo lucky! Grrr!!!!

No comments:

Joey's Slide Show