Monday, July 24, 2006

Week of June 11... and beyond: Summer Project

I have heard people say over and over again that one of the "joys" of home ownership is the fact that home improvement/upkeep is never ending. It's been over a year since Andrea and I became home owners. During the past year, we have done many things to fix, change, and improve the overall condition of our home. We've crossed out many line items from our list of to do's. Some were big items, such as the bathroom remodel, but most were smaller in scope, such as fixing the leaks in our sprinkler system. But despite our best efforts, I have sadly come to accept the truth of the aforementioned saying. Our current list of to do's is just as long, if not longer, than our original list. Having subjugated myself to this reality, I have decided to keep it real and continue working on the list on a more sustainable level... to strive for consistency and not to go in spurts and burn myself out. Operationally, I have decided to take on one large improvement project a year with smaller multiple fix-it projects on the side. So this year, I have decided that this year's home improvement project (I consider the bathroom remodel to be last year's project) is to rebuild our garden shed.

The garden shed is a small 10ft by 12ft wooden structure that sits on the back right corner of our back yard. It is severely weathered (paint is very distressed and peeling) and has several missing windows (covered up by cardboard), sloping roof and floor, and a door that is off its hinges. Instead of doing an entire tear-down and rebuild, I've decided to salvage as much of the shed as possible and rebuild the portions that are unfixable. The foundation and two of the walls were in pretty good shape so I decided to keep most of them intact.


A full day's worth of demolition. I guess this was the easy part. The back wall and the right wall were in good shape so I decided to leave them alone.


Not sure if these pictures are clear but these vertical studs are not nailed to the foundation. Pretty sloppy craftsmanship. Hopefully, my handy work will be much better.

UPDATES WILL BE MADE AS THE PROJECT PROGRESSES

No comments:

Joey's Slide Show