Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Week of April 9: Big Pin-ping

April 16 is a good day for many reasons. The following historical events have occured on this glorious day:

  • 1724: first Easter was observed
  • 1912: the Pirates turned a rare 5-3-7 doubleplay (leftfielder covering 2nd base!)
  • 1922: Annie Oakley shot 100 clay targets in a row
  • 1940: first televised baseball game (WGN-TV, Whitesox vs. Cubs)
  • 1947: Bernard Baruch coined the term "Cold War"
  • 1956: first solar powered radio goes on sale
But most importantly, April 16 is the day that the man that you all greatly admire and adore, was born. Now, there are other great men born on this date. Martin Lawrence, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Charlie Chaplin, Pope Benedict XVI, and Gerardo (aka Rico Suave) to name a few, were all born on April 16. But how many of these famous figures can say that their birthday was celebrated with a giant dancing bowling pin (OK... maybe Gerardo in his prime)? I'm sure by now, you've all guessed correctly that the great man that I'm referring to is none other than your humble blogger... me!

On Saturday, April 15, Andrea threw me my first official birthday party ever. Now, I am getting old and my memory is not what it used to be but I just can't recall ever having a real birthday party (my brother Brian claims that he never had one either but I distinctly recall organizing his dinner party at Le Colonial restaurant followed by a cocktail all-nighter at the Rosewood Bar in North Beach... let's see how long ago was that?... LAST YEAR!). Andrea rented 5 lanes at Albany Bowl for my first and best birthday party. About 30 of my friends (I told you I was great) showed up for a night of bowling and fun. Technically, I'm not sure if what we did qualifies as bowling. But no one got hurt and we all had a lot of laughs!


Earlier on Saturday, we stopped over La Rosa Vintage Boutique in the Haight and picked up these fine bowling threads.


Andrea surprised me by hiring Mr. Pin to be the special guest of honor at my birthday party. Dancing with Mr. Pin in front of all my friends, as well as strangers who couldn't resist this 10 foot mascot, was a dream come true for me. Thank you Andrea... I'll be counting the days to your birthday, where I can finally repay you.


Powered by Castpost
Here, I'm getting down with Mr. Pin. This was the longest 4 minutes of my life. Was it hot out there or was it just me?


I'm so glad that I was able to provide entertainment to all my friends... thanks to my lovely wife!

As the night wore on, things got a little more creative. Amazingly Carol (left) did no worse browling on her knees than standing up... all gutter balls! I think Shannon (right) is describing the recent delivery of her second baby, Kate.

3 comments:

Swampdog said...

Happy Birthday Ray! Thanks for sharing your Mr. Pin experience with the world. What an honor!

Anonymous said...

Ray, Happy Birthday! Loved the photos! Wish Greg and I could have been there to see you cut a rug with Mr. Pin. -Darcie

Andrea & Ray said...

It wasn't a pretty sight! We need to get together soon.

Joey's Slide Show